“Our communities lost our well used and well loved community centre at 10 Shirley Rd, following the February 2011 earthquake. We need a new community facility to serve the wider communities of North Richmond, Shirley, Mairehau, Edgeware and St Albans east of Cranford Street. We the undersigned, request that Christchurch City Council work with us to rebuild our beloved community centre as soon as possible.”
Please sign/share this petition to ask the Christchurch City Council, for a new community facility to be built at 10 Shirley Road, Richmond, Christchurch. Thanks for your support!
Below are the comments from supporters, sharing why signing this petition is important to them:
– “These places are hubs for community activities, and communities are so much stronger with them. Its such a shame this hasn’t been rebuilt.” Robyn W.
– “This is a important asset to the Eastern Communities” Roger E.
– “A Community Centre is a truly under estimated asset to any community. They become a major part of the community and used by many different groups. This type of centre impacts many different groups positively so to have our community centre back is a necessity to our area.” Rachael D.
– “This used to be a great facility when I had my first child…would love other young parents to enjoy it as well.” Muz M.
– “I live in Mairehau and think we need this community centre.” Rachel S.
– “Richmond lost a lot of amenities after the quakes. There appears to be no intention by the CCC to invest in our suburb to bring back what we have lost. Please reconsider bringing back our community centre.” Laura M.
– “We need our Community Centre back which will make our area feel like a community again.” Fione N.
– “We were promised a replacement facility and this has not happened while other areas have had their centres built. What has happened to the insurance money from this facility? Many groups are missing out while we wait.” Sue L.
– “Community is the core to our Society, it was a priority Ten Years ago, it’s now the Priority…” Dorothy B.
– “Christchurch needs to look after its own.” Lyn S.
– “Loss of community hubs stripped the heart from us, let’s put one back.” Matthew H.
– “This use to be my community and others have their community centres re built.” Tiffani F.
– “It’s needed. Please rebuild.” Maree B.
– “Community centre is the hub of the area. Plse fix the centre/ heart of the area.” Lorraine H.
– “This is defiantly needed community place for all and a great location we need this for the community.” Tracey N.
– “I’m signing because I believe community centres are so necessary in having and maintaining a core community. I went to many courses in this centre, and it easy dearly missed.” Amanda H.
– “We need to have more centers like this to help people not swimming pools.” Paula S.
– “I feel this is important for the community.” Sharon C.
– “use to live near this as a child and had great days playing at the park near this what a shame to pull it down.” Tracie J.
– “I totally agree with the need for a new community centre for this area.” Alison F.
– “The community needs a hub. So much has been taken from us and not replaced.” Susan G.
– “The community needs this back!” Debbi F.
– “The old community centre was well used and has been missed by the locals.” Marina P.
– “Every suburb needs a community centre. I have good memories of this building when it hosted weight watchers.” Rose M.
– “This needs to be replaced for the Community.” Alison P.
– “A community Centre for North Richmond, Shirley, Mairehau, Edgewater & St. Albans East!” Shannon W.
– “I’m signing this because its what the community wants.” Justin M.
– “Shirley is a valuable community and has lost so much throughout the earthquakes and needs a community building. Its sad that they have reneged on the replacement building. Its time they showed the people in this area that they aren’t forgotten and do matter. A community building would be a valuable asset for the area with a multitude of uses and it has been sorely missed.” Selina K.
– “This community centre was a great resource for my child, pre 2011 earthquake. We went to music sessions & other parent/child centred sessions held here with the parent centre. I would like other local families to have same.” Charlotte P.
– “This community center was a well used, well lived asset to the community, it should be replaced if anything it’s needed more than ever with all the infill housing in the area.” Christine M.
– “No community should be stripped of essential services. Especially when the demand for these services is on the increase due to the direction NZ is going.
Accessibility to mental health services is critical and it only takes a walk through this suburb to see how many people here would be in need of this community center.
The sheer thought that this has not been prioritized over the likes of the copious amounts of bike lanes in Christchurch is beyond me. Very sad!” Sophia N.
– “Our communities require somewhere anyone can go for support with many issues and not feel judged or looked down upon. This is incredibly important especially in these hard times.” Monica G.
– “Having a centre would be a wonderful addition to the community.” Jo H.
– “Because this area sorely need a new community centre, preferably similar to the previous one, which had facilities for learning pottery & other arts & crafts, plus various other activities. There is nowhere locally suitable at present.” Sue W.
– “In support of a re- build or new community centre to be built. Come on Christchurch City Council. How about the CEO and city councillors taking a salary cut to get projects like this one off the ground?” Karilyn B.
– “We need somewhere local for everyone to meet up and enjoy each others company.” Judy K.
– “Come on CCC you said you would do this, please do the honorable thing and follow through.” Meredyth A.
– “Valuable community asset.” Helen C.
– “The community need their centre rebuilt, it is the Hub for many organisations and helps so many people. Health, welfare, mental well-being is so important. Too many have been affected and suffered due to the Earthquake and now COVID. Please listen to the people.” Miriam G.
– “We need community… So Where’s our community centre!?” Anneke M.
– “Very important for the welfare of all residents.” Donald K.
– “You said you would rebuild this centre; keep your promises. Building ridiculous memorials that we didn’t vote for will not appease those of us who suffered through all the earthquakes.” Nola R.
– “Our suburb has been asset stripped by CCC.” Jacqueline T.
– “Used to be Centre Coordinator at SCC and later organised and attended Adult Education classes there through SBHS. Our community needs this facility back.” Fiona B.
– “Don’t you think our communities have lost enough? Christchurch almost lost it’s identity, but the communities held us together. It’s getting harder and harder to do as the years drag on. We all need some semblance of normality back to grow strong again.” Jennifer P.
– “I’m signing in because I think the City Council Staff and elected members need to place more value on community engagement as to what the residents of the communities actually want in their neighbourhoods. Greater engagement will foster greater buy in for new projects, rather than force feeding initiatives and reports written by Council “experts” who don’t actually live in the neighbourhoods, and without actually canvasing the residents. It boils down to democracy and basic manners.” Greg P.
– “I believe in this.” Naohmi C.
– “Every community need a hub.” Penny M.
– “We need a new community center around here. I miss the pottery classes.” Jackie C.
– “I’m signing because our kids need more access to community ventures in our area. I’m signing because every community needs a hub.” Milly S.
– “I live just few doors down from where the Community Hall was…we lost SBHS where there were community classes…we need a community hall to bring a sense of neighborhood…& classes…” Hester de T.
– “Communities require hubs. Communities must develop an identity, without our own culture we are not enhancing our personal and community well-being along with community safety.” Sue P.
– “I would like to see the Community Centre reinstated for the benefit of the local Residents. A facility which encourages local participation and engagement would be warmly embraced in this resource depleted area.” Shirley S.
– “The centre used to be so busy before the quakes and shows that the community still needs a space.” Lucinda L.
– “It has been 8 and a half years since our community centre was destroyed in the February 2011 earthquake. It’s unbelievable that there are no plans to rebuild this once vibrant and well used centre. I am frustrated by the lack of priority given to repairing assets this area and the inequity in funding across the city.” Jane H.
– “Every community needs a Community centre. Shirley has lost so much, please reinstate our hub.” Susan G.
– “I am a resident of Richmond.” Benjamin E.
– “The community needs this back. This us a big loss to community groups in the area.” Tania M.
– “I grew up in this area and walked passed that community centre everyday on my way to school, I attend numerous activities within its walls over the years and I do believe my Grandfather attended primary school there before it was a community centre. Having a community centre is valuable for the residing residents.” Roxy T.
– “This community centre is much needed.” Mandi S.
– “I was a resident of the Shirley area and often used the Community Centre. A lot has changed since then and a new community centre would give back some much needed community spirit!” Anne M.
– “Having grown up in this area, I can only support these communities in their endeavor to heighten wellbeing and resilience though meeting and activity space. Kia kaha” Rik T.
– “I’m signing because we have lost our community amenities almost entirely since the quakes, with no hope of regaining them either, so i know how bad it is to be without them.” Alma R.
– “When I lived in Avonside til EQS used to go there all the time as our Canterbury Branch Family History centre was there.” Yvonne H.
– “Community centres are essential. Our area needs to be looked after.” Georgina C.
– “Shirley Community Centre (former Shirley Primary School) was built in 1915, and it became a place for: Cultural, Educational and Recreational Activities. Since the earthquakes we have seen our schools closed, rebuilt and relocated. We have seen the demolition of the original Shirley Community Centre in 2012, and our community has become disconnected and displaced. We need a new Centre built at 10 Shirley Road.” Joanna G.
– “I’m signing because community facilities are an essential part of building healthy supportive community groups and would like to point out that this type community rebuilding asset is the kind of thing that post-quake donations were intended for – not for shifting the Christchurch cenotaph.” Patricia W.
– “Reinstatement of this community hub is vital to the mental and physical health of the community.” Judith H.
– “We have lost so many amenities in our area since the earthquakes. We don’t need to lose our community centre as well. Our community centre needs to be reinstated.” Margaret S.
– “This area lost so much in the Earthquake and after the Earthquake. We want our community centre back.” Jennifer D.