Shirley Primary School
Building Record Form for Shirley Community Centre, 10 Shirley Road, Christchurch
“The Shirley Primary School was erected in 1915 to the design of George Penlington, the Education Board Architect in Canterbury.
The foundation stone was laid on 16th June 1915.
Sympathetic additions were made to the school building in 1924 and were presumably to the design of Penlington also. This comprised the four east-facing classrooms. Other than these additions, the building appears largely unaltered.
Shirley Primary School was typical of education buildings of this era in both plan and the provision of large windows to each classroom, but has some regional rarity in that it is constructed of brick. The building is prominent within the local streetscape because of its corner site and spacious setting.”
“NZ Historic Places Trust, Register Record for Shirley Community Centre, 10 Shirley Road, Christchurch
This building was built as Shirley Primary School in 1915 to the design of Education Board architect George Penlington.
With its hipped roof and symmetry, the overall flavour of this school building is Georgian. Its U-shaped plan, and large and regular fenestration, together hint at the Jacobean influence which was to be developed in Penlington’s later work. In addition, it provides evidence of Penlington’s skill in polychromatic brick construction.”
Shirley Community Centre
“Shirley Community Centre (former Shirley Primary School), 10 Shirley Road, Christchurch
Originally entered in the List as a Category 2 historic place (#7117) – Demolished 2012
This building was constructed in 1915 as Shirley Primary School. It was built to the design of Education Board architect George Penlington. The building’s hipped roof and symmetry gave the building an overall Georgian air, whilst its U-shaped plan and large and regular fenestration hinted at the Jacobean influence which was to be developed in Penlington’s later work.”